2 bunches asparagus, about 2 pounds
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tbs chopped parsley, reserve stems
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbs olive oil
2 medium red potatoes, diced
2 leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- Snap tough ends from asparagus. Add to a 4qt saucepan with stock, thyme, bay and parsley stems. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Simmer potatoes and leeks in butter. Add a little water as needed. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Strain stock into soup pot and cook for five minutes. Cut asparagus into 2” pieces and add to stock. Remove 10-12 tips after 3 minutes.
- When asparagus is just tender, pass soup through a food mill or processor. Stir through parsley.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, butter and vinegar. Garnish with asparagus tips.
For more recipes from Chef Jonathan Bardzik, visit his blog whatihaventcookedyet.com.